[ltp] X31 - Bootable from Adaptec SlimSCSI CDROM?

Kelvin KAN linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Nov 2003 12:50:48 +0800

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying an X31.  But it comes standard WITHOUT the
docking station, hence w/o the CD drive.

I've got some Adaptec PCMCIA SlimSCSI cards (both 1460 & 1480 cardbus),
and an ext. SCSI CD drive. My questions are:
    1.  Can the X31 boot from such ext. SCSI CD drive?
     2.  If I buy an empty docking station (w/o CD drive), may I be able
to convert my spare notebook CD drives (many left from old notebooks) to
be the int. CD drive of the docking station?  Any add'l electronics
required?

As you know when you play around with Linux you have to re-install OS
quite often.

My previous experience with TP600E was that it could not boot from
PCMCIA, even if BIOS had such option.

Thanks!
-
kelvin.