[ltp] Fedora on Thinkpads
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:07:26 -0600 (CST)
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Bert Haskins wrote:
> Could someone give their reasons for moving to Fedora from RedHat 8 or 9?
Well I didn't even try using RH9 on a T40. Fedora Core 1 just works.
I've also upped a 600E to Fedora Core 1.
The reasons for others to do this upgrade could be:
1. speedstep (as I've indicated in one of my previous posts)
2. laptop mode (where IO to disk is buffered - thus letting the disk
spin down - when on battery)
3. OpenGL for almost all ATI cards in thinkpads - and no X lockups with suspend/resume.
4. easier package management/updates using yum (every fedora mirror is useable from yum)
5. prelinking is done by default - so presumably applications startup faster.
6. newer versions of packages
7. The usual mp3/dvd player extras from http://rpm.livna.org (useable from yum/apt)
More info in the release notes at http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes
Note: I use APM. Didn't really try ACPI. And I don't care for
hibernation - so didn't try it.