[ltp] new gnome frontend for tpctl (AND FC1 ON T40P)

Neil Weisenfeld linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 Nov 2003 22:15:11 -0500

On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 18:09, Satish Balay wrote:
> In the discussions on some of the links I posted - there was some
> mention of this absence of certain opengl features (required by non
> gaming software) in the GPL drivers. And that the likelihood of them
> being implemneted is extremely low. And the binary drivers were the
> only option. Looks like your usage falls in this category.
>
> Also the proability of having OpenGL GPL drivers for newer ATI
> chipsets is also very low. So - for future versions(of thinkpads), we
> would have to use ATI drivers. For 2D stuff apparently ATI is
> contrbuiting code to the GPL drivers.
>
> Satish

Thanks for the info.  The question then becomes: whom do we support?
I'll maybe file a bug report with ATI and see if they'll actually fix
the DRM locking stuff or whatever causes the machine to lock-up on
resume from suspend/sleep/standby.

Neil