[ltp] new gnome frontend for tpctl (AND FC1 ON T40P)

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 17:09:20 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, Neil Weisenfeld wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-09 at 15:25, Satish Balay wrote:
> >
> > Not sure - what you would need the ati drivers for - but the XFree86
> > that comes with fedora works nicely on my T40.
> >

> The free drivers work for a lot of OpenGL things.  Tuxracer works great
> and glxgears shows 1800fps on my T40p.  I'm using the stock driver right
> now, but the medical imaging package that I use incorrectly renders some
> scenes and is painfully slow for some other things that I do
> frequently.  It works correctly using the binary ATI drivers under
> Linux, Windows, Mac OS/X, and Solaris.
>
> I'd love to feed a sample program back to the driver authors so that the
> open-source version could be fixed, however right now the problems are
> tickled by a combination of software that is quite large and not
> necessarily simple to build.  Not really ideal.

In the discussions on some of the links I posted - there was some
mention of this absence of certain opengl features (required by non
gaming software) in the GPL drivers. And that the likelihood of them
being implemneted is extremely low. And the binary drivers were the
only option. Looks like your usage falls in this category.

Also the proability of having OpenGL GPL drivers for newer ATI
chipsets is also very low. So - for future versions(of thinkpads), we
would have to use ATI drivers. For 2D stuff apparently ATI is
contrbuiting code to the GPL drivers.

Satish