[ltp] terminal bip

Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:30:53 +0000

Dear Gustavo,

What you probably want to do is make bash give you a list of possible
options, rather than beeping. Here's how:

Add this to /etc/inputrc
    # Show all if ambiguous.
    set show-all-if-ambiguous on

then restart bash

The information about inputrc is somewhere inside 'info bash'.

Different distros do different things:

If you have a directory containing, say "foobar" and foobaz" and enter
"ls foo" [tab]

* Mandrake will give you a list of possible completions.

* Redhat/Debian will just beep, and if you press tab again, will list
the possible completions.

While I'm on the subject, installing 'bash-completion' is really
worthwhile - it makes the completion more intelligent.

Best wishes

Richard

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.