[ltp] SuSE 9 on T40

Aaron Mulder linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:32:31 -0500 (EST)

	Just thought I'd drop a note to say I'm running SuSE 9 on my T40p
and it works quite well.  It autodetected everything, including the
madwifi driver for the IBM a/b card (which it configured as wlan0 instead
of ath0).  It defaulted to ACPI, which I had to disable in favor of APM
(as suspend doesn't work).  But it includes /proq/cpufreq and a daemon
called cpufreqd which is very customizable and controls the CPU speed
effectively.  It also includes /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode.  It detected the
ATI card successfully, though I had to pick a generic LCD display as the
monitor.  DMA worked for the disk drive, and it detected the CD-RW/DVD
combo drive with the appropriate capabilities.  I haven't fussed with the
touchpad drivers as I prefer to use the eraser mouse.

	The only problems I've had have been with 3rd-party software that
only works with Red Hat kernels (such as the Nortel Contivity VPN client).

Aaron