[ltp] terminal bip

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:13:22 +0100

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 01:55, Richard Neill wrote:
> > Or 'man bash' and look for the READLINE chapter. There's a list of all
> > possibilities. Bash is like science fiction. ;-)
>
> Actually, I only recently discovered that "help" or eg "help test" at
> the bash prompt is useful!

Nice. Didn't know that either.

> > BTW: Does anybody have a clou how to define a sequence of commands
> > (macro) in inputrc and call it on pressing a certain key? I mean I know
> > how to call single commands on keypress, but I can't figure out the
> > syntax for macro definition.
> Wouldn't it be easier to write a shell script, and define a one
> character alias?

It would, if I wouldn't want to have readline commands in my macros, but
shell commands. ;-)

What I'd like to do for instance is that on pressing tab i get a list of
all possible matches AND get into the menu-completion mode, which could
easely be done, if i could define something like
tab: possible-completions, menu-complete
But this doesn't work. Also tried with pure ' ' and ';' as separators,
but nothing helps. However, the readline section of the bash manual says
something about macros but unfortunately it speaks in riddles.

Andre.