[ltp] terminal bip

Tue, 11 Nov 2003 00:55:08 +0000

> Or 'man bash' and look for the READLINE chapter. There's a list of all
> possibilities. Bash is like science fiction. ;-)

Actually, I only recently discovered that "help" or eg "help test" at
the bash prompt is useful!

> BTW: Does anybody have a clou how to define a sequence of commands
> (macro) in inputrc and call it on pressing a certain key? I mean I know
> how to call single commands on keypress, but I can't figure out the
> syntax for macro definition.

Wouldn't it be easier to write a shell script, and define a one
character alias?

>>While I'm on the subject, installing 'bash-completion' is really
>>worthwhile - it makes the completion more intelligent.
>
> Was always wondering about that...can it do "process matching" for the
> kill command?

Yes. It can also tell the difference between files and directories. Eg
you have a file call "foobar" and a directory called "foobaz". If you
type "cd foo [tab]", then bash normally doesn't know what to do. With
bash-completion, it does know. Another example is autocompleting ssh/scp
commands based on contents of .ssh/known_hosts

Richard