[ltp] something for the experts

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:35:54 +0200

--mP3DRpeJDSE+ciuQ

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:02:20PM +0100, Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote:
> I'm having two little problems here on my T23, which keep me wondering
> and wondering...
>=20
> 1. Even though I thought i solved this problem, it turned out, I didn't:
>    When trying to mount drives as user, which require kernel modules to
>    be modprobed, they don't get modprobed automatically (namely the ones
>    needed to enable scsi-ide emulation). Modprobe seems not even to be
>    called by the kernel. When doing it as root everything works fine.
>    Any ideas?

Just add ide-scsi to /etc/modules.

I'm surprised that modprobing works for root.  How does the kernel know
that you want ide-scsi to provide /dev/scd0 and not some other SCSI
device driver?  Ok, perhaps that's what the scsi-hostadapter alias is
for.

>    Please don't ask why I want to have both Win2k and WinXp.
>=20
>    What I want to do is to make my boot selection with lilo...or maybe
>    grub later on, but for the time being its still lilo.

I do not know how to make more than one Windows partition bootable the
way you want to.  I do know that you can add Linux to the NTLDR menu
besides Win2K and WinXP (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html).

Marius Gedminas
--=20
"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"
                                -- Bill Gates, 1981
"Windows 95 needs at least 8 MB RAM."
                                -- Bill Gates, 1996
"Nobody will ever need Windows 95."