[ltp] modprobe gets launched as nonroot

Thu, 13 Nov 2003 14:57:38 +0100

Hi,

> Just add ide-scsi to /etc/modules.
>
> I'm surprised that modprobing works for root.  How does the kernel know
> that you want ide-scsi to provide /dev/scd0 and not some other SCSI
> device driver?  Ok, perhaps that's what the scsi-hostadapter alias is
> for.

That's because i already have
alias scsi-hostadapter ide-scsi
alias scd0 sr_mod
alias scd1 sr_mod
in my modules.conf. ;-)

But I found out more about this whole thing now.
I indeed had some strange entries in my modules.conf, namely some
unneccessary pre-install entries.

It turned out that all modprobe calls I have in pre-install entries in
my modules.conf seem to get launched as my current (nonroot) user. Hence
when trying to mount as nonroot it doesn't work, when I'm root it does.

I could remove them for the ide-scsi thing and now it works.

But I need an entry 'pre-install sd_mod /sbin/modprobe ppa' to get my
parport zip drive working. And that again doesn't work then.
When logging to syslog i get the following errors:

parport.o: create_module: Operation not permitted
parport.o: insmod ppa failed
modprobe: modprobe: pre-install sd_mod failed
modprobe: modprobe: insmod block-major-8 failed

I think this is related to what is written in the SAFE MODE chapter of
modprobe. Does someone know more about this?

> I do not know how to make more than one Windows partition bootable the
> way you want to.  I do know that you can add Linux to the NTLDR menu
> besides Win2K and WinXP (http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+NT-Loader.html).

Thanks, also found that one, but I want to have my pretty precious lilo.
;-)

André.