[ltp] My Wireless Experiences with a T41

Sean Dague linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:43:36 -0500

--z6Eq5LdranGa6ru8

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 08:57:15PM -0500, Greg Meyer wrote:
> I thought some of you would be interested in my experiences getting wirel=
ess=20
> networking going on my T41.  The machine originally came with a Centrino=
=20
> wireless card which I swapped out for a Cisco Aironet MPI350 knowing that=
 the=20
> Intel card had absolutely no driver support in Linux (two days after I=20
> received my machine, Linuxant announced their driverloader product, but I=
'll=20
> get to that later).
>=20
> My card came with firmware version 5.02.17, so the first thing I did was =
to=20
> downgrade it to version 5.00.03, which is the version that came with the=
=20
> Linux driver available from Cisco.  I will shamefully admit that I used t=
he=20
> Windows version of the Cisco ACU to do this because I didn't want to spen=
d a=20
> lot of time with it.  After downgrading the firmware, I followed Fabrice=
=20
> Bellet's instructions for building the airo_mpi driver found here:
>=20
> http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/airo_mpi.HOWTO.txt
>=20
> He reports in his Linux on a T40 document that this driver only works wit=
h the=20
> 5b00.08, but I thought I would give it a shot anyway. =20
>=20
> http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/t40.html#wireless
>=20
> The module built without issue and modprobed without complaining, but i c=
ould=20
> not get it to associate with the AP.  It would also frequently cause a ke=
rnel=20
> panic when I tried to activate the interface.

For what it is worth, I happily run bellet's airo_mpi driver on a T40,
firmware 5.00.03, Linux Mandrake 2.4.22-21mdk kernel.  The older versions of
the driver (i.e. August & Sept releases) used to give up the ghost after
some period of time, or under heavy traffic, but everything has been great
after the October releases.

On certain waps I needed to use the acu utility to bring up the connection,
but at home, at 128bit WEP, I can just use the linux wireless tools directl=
y.

	-Sean

--=20

--z6Eq5LdranGa6ru8