[ltp] Fedora Core 1 on Antique 760 series

Richard Griffith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:50:55 -0500

Glyn Kennington wrote:

>Tino Keitel wrote:
>

>>>on. The next serious problem, and a real show stopper, is PCMCIA won't
>>>work. The only error reported is a pair of the familiar 'No IRQ known
>>>for interrupt pin A of device 00:0n.n. Please try using pci=biosirq.'
>>>messages. Attempting to follow the advice and pass pci=biosirq to the
>>>kernel results in kernel panic.
>>>

>>Do you use kernel pcmcia support (yenta.o) or the drivers from
>>pcmcia-cs (i82365.o)? Dave Hinds told me that the former won't work on
>>a 76x model with a Cardbus card, since the Cardbus bridge in these
>>models uses ISA IRQs. While the kernel driver requires PCI IRQs, the
>>pcmcia-cs driver has a fallback for ISA IRQs.
>>

>I've had the same problem with my 760ED, whenever I try using a Cardbus
>card (PCMCIA cards work OK).  Always `no IRQ known for interrupt pin',
>and the message about pci=biosirq, and no improvement (but no kernel
>panic) despite trying all possible parameters for pci=foo.  I also found
>exactly no difference was made by switching between built-in kernel
>drivers and pcmcia-cs.  I haven't tried anything more recent than
>version 3.2.2, though.

I've definitely been using the yenta_socket.o with every other distro on
these models. I don't use any cardbus cards, just pcmcia, but the Fedora
Core 1 kernel doesn't like this setup apparently. I don't rembemer
having to switch to the separate pcmcia-cs drivers since back in the
kernel 2.2 days. This
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2003-July/000152.html
sounds similar, but I didn't dig in far enough to find out since this
was just one of those spur of the moment impulsive tests with a new
distro. I doubt I'll pursue this further at the moment, but thanks for
the observations.

-Richrd