[ltp] PC to PC phone calls with the t40

Victor Pechorin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:55:53 +0100

Hi,
SpeakFreely - works great (with alsa), but interface isn't very clear(i
use xspeakfree). Interoperable only with speakfreely on windows/linux.
The latest version has a special feature for NATs.

openh323 group makes a software command-line h.323 phone, ohphone. I
think GnomeMeeting is better choice than ohphone.

Try to look at GnomeMeeting, good interface, but the other side hears
the echo... (checked with NetMeeting and on Linux with GnomeMeeting). I
couldn't solve this problem. It has special user-directory -
ils.seconix.com, integrated to the address book, so you can easy find
your friend there. I use it with Quicknet PhoneCard and Microtelco
account to make PC-2-Phone calls, but it can work also with soundcard
and headset without any special hardware.

The latest version of linphone is pretty good. It uses SIP protocol for
connection and voice quality is the best of all with uLaw|aLaw codecs.
It works also without any sip proxys. Interface is very simple. It can
interoperate with Cisco ATA186 and other IP-telephony/SIP-hardware.

Kphone, also uses SIP for connections, has a special NAT traversal
feature, but i couldn't make a call to Cisco ATA186 without sip-proxy.
And i haven't checked it with other Kphone.

The opposide side for SIP phones(linphone, kphone) are MS Messenger and
X-lite on Windows platform.

For h.323(GnomeMeeting, ohphone) it's NetMeeting.

For speakfreely it's SpeakFreely for Windows.

--
Victor Pechorin
mailto:victor@pechorin.com