[ltp] the purpose or advantage of suspend and hibernation

Robert Hajime Lanning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 00:09:31 -0800 (PST)

<quote who="Kelvin KAN">
> Who knows?  So don't ever drop your TP onto the ground (while hibern'd)
> which eventually would cause data loss or permanent damages to the HD,
> though TP is known for its toughness.
>
> Also if you have 256MB mem (quite standard today), you are
> writing/reading the equal amount of data to/from the HD on each
> hibern/restore.  This will surely wear off HD faster.

Damn HTML.  Had to reformat your post.

I have 580MB RAM.  I pretty much never hibernate.  I suspend to RAM.  I
only use hibernate when my battery gets too low.  I use ext2 filesystems
so I can run noflushd.

With a full battery, I can leave the machine in suspend to ram mode for
about five days.  When I have my Valence battery connected, it can stay
suspended for about a month.  (of course this is useless, as what good is
a notebook that you never unsuspend :)  (btw. Valence + main battery gives
me just under 10 hours runtime.)

It took about 3 years for my main battery to finally get to about a 20
minute charge, so I bought a new battery just recently.

TP 600X

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP