[ltp] the purpose or advantage of suspend and hibernation

Robert Hajime Lanning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:20:28 -0800 (PST)

<quote who="Rob Mayoff">
> How do you know? Sometimes the bug is not found until long after the
> kernel is released. I experienced such a bug in 2.4.18 (on a server, not
> my Thinkpad) that wasn't discovered and fixed (AFAIK) until six months
> after 2.4.20 was released, more than a year after 2.4.18 was released.
> The bug may have existed in earlier kernels too.

That is true, but it really comes down to the experience I have had.
When I do reboot, it will fsck (ext2, no journaling, long time since last
check) and it comes up with no errors.

Now this speaks nothing for the data in the files.  Very difficult to
test for that, except checksums.

Then again, even journaling can't help with contents.  I have a VIA C3
machine and the Rhine ethernet doesn't like ACPI enabled on the latest
kernel.  Hard freeze with first packet.  It is using Reiserfs.  I created
a startup file, and ran it.  It ifconfig'd the ethernet up.  FREEZE.  At
reboot, the file was there and had the correct size.  But, that was it. :)

sync; sync; sync;# always wondered, why three syncs :P

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP