[ltp] the purpose or advantage of suspend and hibernation

Robert Hajime Lanning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:32:59 -0800 (PST)

<quote who="Theodore Ts'o">
> Not just kernel bugs.  Random hardware bugs/hiccups, including those
> caused by static discharges, cosmic rays, etc.  Repeat after me: PC
> Hardware is Sh*t.
>
> No ECC on disk cables or system buses, no power fail interrupts to
> stop DMA when the power drops, most machines don't have ECC memory,
> etc., etc., etc.
>
> The *only* solution is to be super paranoid, do lots of checks, do
> lots of backups, and do lots of checksums.  That is, if you care about
> your data.  If the cost of reconstructing the data isn't very high, of
> course, then don't bother.

Good point.  I think, I will install a cron to reboot every 20 minutes.

As for backups, I just backup my personal files to my home raid system.

Then again, most of what I use my notebook for, is network access to my
servers.  It's my remote control. :)

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP