[ltp] the purpose or advantage of suspend and hibernation

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 13:00:49 -0500

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 08:32:59AM -0800, Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:

> Good point.  I think, I will install a cron to reboot every 20 minutes.
>
> As for backups, I just backup my personal files to my home raid system.

I know you were being snide and sarcastic, but a really good thing to
consider doing is to set up your laptop to automatically figure out
when it's on your home LAN (possibly by looking at its ip address, or
probing to see if your home raid-based fileserver's MAC address is
available on the ethernet), and automatically doing an rsync to backup
your notebook files if it is left on at 2am in the morning when at
home.

Otherwise, backups never get done, and when your notebook hard drive
dies (notebook drives are less reliable than server or drives meant
for the desktop), you won't be sorry....

						- Ted