[ltp] the purpose or advantage of suspend and hibernation

Robert Hajime Lanning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 11:28:01 -0800 (PST)

<quote who="Theodore Ts'o">
> I know you were being snide and sarcastic, but a really good thing to
> consider doing is to set up your laptop to automatically figure out
> when it's on your home LAN (possibly by looking at its ip address, or
> probing to see if your home raid-based fileserver's MAC address is
> available on the ethernet), and automatically doing an rsync to backup
> your notebook files if it is left on at 2am in the morning when at
> home.
>
> Otherwise, backups never get done, and when your notebook hard drive
> dies (notebook drives are less reliable than server or drives meant
> for the desktop), you won't be sorry....

Actually, I had never really thought of applying it that way.  I have been
in discussions about identifying the network you plug into, so it can auto
setup for the network.  Kind of fuzzy network finger printing, with looking
at broadcast traffic and MACs.

I do leave my notebook running overnight, almost every night.

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP