[ltp] Restore WinXP MBR?

Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:47:03 +0200

--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 03:03:52PM -0800, Jordan Benjamin wrote:
> Back to that issue that got me into this mess in the first place though:=
=20
> has anyone tried to dual boot linux and Windows using grub as the first=
=20
> bootloader? I.e., grub is installed in the MBR and ntldr is only in the=
=20
> Windows partition? All the dual boot howtos I've seen say you have to=20
> have ntldr go first, which is OK but annoying.

I never install LILO/GRUB into the MBR these days.  I install them into
my Linux partition's boot sector and keep the Windows MBR (if this is a
dual-boot machine; otherwise I tend to install the Debian's MBR
package).  If you then mark your Linux partition as active (aka
bootable), the Microsoft MBR will happily load LILO instead of NTLDR.
If LILO breaks, you don't have to figure out a way to boot from a DOS
floppy/CD and restore the MBR, only have to make the other partition
active.

I'm sure it would work with GRUB as well.  (I do not use GRUB -- I tried
it once on my old 755CD and didn't like it.)

Marius Gedminas
--=20
If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.

--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC

--jousvV0MzM2p6OtC--