[ltp] My Thinkpad has a voice now!

Michelle Klein-Hass linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 08:42:16 -0800

Just a little note to let you all know that my ThinkPad has a voice. The good
guys at 4Front Technologies got sound working on my 600E in about 5 minutes,
thanks to their commercial version of OSS. I know there are other ways of
skinning this particular cat with 100% free software, but this was quick and
painless and solved the problem.

I view the $15 the commercial version of OSS cost me as a donation towards
4Front's continued work on the Free version of OSS and the Free audio player
XMMS. It was also a small way to thank the developers for their help getting
sound to work.

One caveat: I have to load the commercial version of OSS manually after
starting up. It requires a single command after SU-ing to root: soundon.
That's OK: I need to be forced to deal with the command line more. This way,
I have to face up to the command line every day.

-.\\<-H-
--
Michelle Klein-Hass
Box 2273, Van Nuys, CA 91404-2273