[ltp] automatic network probing

Rob Walker linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:14:14 -0800

>> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 02:29:09 -0800 (PST), "Robert Hajime Lanning"
>> <lanning@lanning.cc> said:

   > <quote who="Rob Walker">
   >> I would think that one MAC address other than your own would be
   >> enough data to make a match.  The other alternayive is that your
   >> personal Secret Service Agent got plugged in at work or at home
   >> before you did.  :-)

   > Yup, one would think that, but, how many people plug into just a
   > single subnet at work, and a single subnet at home?

   > At home I have 8 VLANs (two of them I actually plug into, one wired
   > and one wireless)

My statement still stands, even if I was not quite as clear as I could
have been.  I meant to say something like the following:  If you read
the network interface(s), and find one (and only one needed) MAC which
you can correlate to a certain network, you are finished.  No?

   > At work, it depends on which building I am visiting.

Same goes here, no?  Find a single match, game over.  Especially when
you have the MAC addresses for the routers and switches handy to look
up, right?

rob