[ltp] Restore WinXP MBR?

Szakacsits Szabolcs linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 02:52:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jordan Benjamin wrote:

> So, while trying to get my partitions set up properly I installed grub
> into the mbr for the whole disk of my T40. Although this is not a
> problem for linux, I can't boot Windows anymore (this is required
> sometimes for me).

Something you shold have missed. grub/lilo can boot Win fine from MBR, most
distro set it up default at install time.

> I went ahead and got the recovery CDs from IBM (for which I was charged
> $40 since I've had the machine over 30 days...I hate computer
> companies). They restored everything but the MBR.

Windows Recovery Console: fixmbr and/or fixboot.

> I don't have a floppy drive; any suggestions? Would I be able to use any
> usb floppy drive to boot my ThinkPad (to use a windows boot floppy to
> fix the mbr)?

No need for floppy to boot dos floppies. One can either write the floppy
images to a CD a "special" way (see google) or boot it straight from the
disk using grub/lilo and memdisk from syslinux. E.g. a lilo entry to boot
the Hitachi self-booting DOS diskette Drive Fitness Test from the disk can
be like:

image=/boot/memdisk
        label="HDTest"
        initrd=/boot/dft-v350img.bin