[ltp] Restore WinXP MBR?

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:27:40 -0800

On Sunday 23 November 2003 16:52, Szakacsits Szabolcs wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Jordan Benjamin wrote:
> > So, while trying to get my partitions set up properly I installed grub
> > into the mbr for the whole disk of my T40. Although this is not a
> > problem for linux, I can't boot Windows anymore (this is required
> > sometimes for me).
>
> Something you shold have missed. grub/lilo can boot Win fine from MBR, most
> distro set it up default at install time.
Until recently, some required the Windows boot files be on FAT32 filesystem.
OP's failure to mention versions involved encouraged many irrelevant

> > I went ahead and got the recovery CDs from IBM (for which I was charged
> > $40 since I've had the machine over 30 days...I hate computer
> > companies). They restored everything but the MBR.
>
> Windows Recovery Console: fixmbr and/or fixboot.

Requires possession of retail installation CD.  In the case of Win2K, user
would require the forethought to install RC before undertaking linux.  Turned
out the question was on XP, in spite of all the efforts to divert to 98 and
the like.
> > I don't have a floppy drive; any suggestions? Would I be able to use any
> > usb floppy drive to boot my ThinkPad (to use a windows boot floppy to
> > fix the mbr)?
>
> No need for floppy to boot dos floppies.
You're still allowing the OP's mixture of comments to distract you.  Unless
the OP had made a recovery floppy (is there such for XP?), as well as having
Recovery Console available, the floppy drive has no role to play.  Still
might not, as Windows doesn't appear to have a working floppy driver for my
T40.