[ltp] ThinkPads with Intel Centrino and Linux?

Steve Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:17:23 -0500

Crawford Rainwater wrote:
> I am debating on getting a new ThinkPad with a Intel Centrino in it
> (like one of the R series).  Any personal input, pros/cons, etc. from
> the folks out there?

Centrino notebooks are going from 0 to 42% of the notebook market this
year:
http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/NewsSearch.asp?DocID=15806647CDD22CE748256DE30048E20D&query=CENTRINO

I find my Centrino P-M 1.6GHz T40p runs much cooler (and a bit faster)
than my P4-M 2.0GHz T30.

> I understand that the WiFi side of the Centrino is still TBD since Intel
> is being slow at releasing it to the Linux community, but aside from
> that, any other thoughts and $0.02?

I thought there had been some work on wrappering the Windows drivers
so they worked in Linux.  You can also check the HW manual for the
model you are considering and see if you can replace the wireless
card with the Cisco (which is what I did).  Or just get a supported
wireless PC Card, usb dongle, whatever.  Don't let Intel hold you
back from buying a ThinkPad. :-)

Steve
--
http://www.stevebarr.com