[ltp] cd-rw: can write but can read or mount

Glyn Kennington linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:56:15 +0000

gustavo wrote:
>  Today iI added the module 'sg.o' in order to use mi cd-writer. I was
> compile it and added it to '/etc/modules' and
> after it writed in the blank cd (with 'xcdroast').
>   My problem is that now I can't mount the cdrom. What can be the problem???

Do you have the sr_mod module compiled and loaded, too?  You need that to read
SCSI CD-roms.

> if I link the '/dev/cdrom' to '/dev/scd0' and try to mount the cdrom I
> receive:
>     > mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

Once you've done a `modprobe sr_mod', this should no longer happen.

> If back the original link to '/dev/cdrom' to 'hdc' when I try to mount
> it I receive:
>     > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>        (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
>        ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

hdc is the IDE device.  The kernel is suggesting that if you're using ide-scsi,
then you don't want to try to read this device (whatever it is) through the IDE
device.  And it's suggesting sr0/sda instead of scd because it doesn't know
it's meant to be a CD-rom.

Glyn

--
glyn.kennington@ox.compsoc.net