[ltp] Fedora/2.4.22/wireless update

Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:28:27 +0000 (GMT)

I've been happily running Fedora with the project's 2.4.22 stock kernel
for some time now on my T40, and the only issue left unresolved for
me is the mini-PCI wireless.  Wondering if someone can give me an
update on whether they've got this working with the stock kernel for
the Cisco card, and a summary on what works/doesn't with the other
available miniPCI cards.

I ordered my T40 purposefully with the Cisco miniPCI aironet 350
card because I knew it was supported, and it worked fine on Red Hat
9 for kernels 2.4.20 and .21 with both the ugly Cisco mpi350 module +
custom software and Fabrice Bellet's more elegant changes to airo_mpi.
As described earlier here on the list, Fabrice's changes don't
currently work for Ad-Hoc mode (any update on this?) which I need,
and I can't get the Cisco mpi350 module + software to work at all.
I'd really like to do this with the stock kernel: much saved update
time later.

So, has anyone else managed to get this card working on the Fedora
stock kernel?  Does anyone know if this is a 2.4.22 problem (the lack
of Ad-Hoc mode support) or something Red Hat did?

Secondly, can someone tell me if either the Intel or IBM 802.11a/b(/g?)
cards are now working in 2.4.22?  I'm confused with all the different
projects to get this working: does madwifi now make the IBM card
work ok on a T40?  Are there any catches?  Does Ad-Hoc/WEP work ok?
Would I need a custom kernel?  Does it work in the faster modes (a/g)
too, or only b?  Any of these answers would be helpful!

Finally, do either or both these faster cards work with the pay-for
Linuxant:

http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/

and/or free NDIS wrapper:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

solutions to using native Windows drivers on Linux?

Any answers to any of these would be appreciated!