[ltp] Fedora/2.4.22/wireless update

Satish Balay linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:04:23 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 honey@gneek.com wrote:

> Secondly, can someone tell me if either the Intel or IBM 802.11a/b(/g?)
> cards are now working in 2.4.22?  I'm confused with all the different
> projects to get this working: does madwifi now make the IBM card
> work ok on a T40?  Are there any catches?  Does Ad-Hoc/WEP work ok?
> Would I need a custom kernel?  Does it work in the faster modes (a/g)
> too, or only b?  Any of these answers would be helpful!

I have the a/b card working fine on my T40 using the CVS version of
the madwifi drivers as of Nov 10. I've been using this card since then
- without any issues with 802.11b networks in the 'Managed' mode -
with and without WEP(48). I've tested it with a 802.11a network for a
few min - in 'Managed' mode without any isssues. I have not tried
'Ad-Hoc' mode.

One of the gotcha's is to compile the driver with either of:
make CC=gcc32
export CC=gcc32; make -e

and not
export CC=gcc32; make