[ltp] 5400 RPM hard drives?

Steve Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:09:24 -0500

Kevin Krause wrote:
> I put an IBM 40GB 5400 RPM disk (/proc/ide/hda/model says
> IC25N040ATCS05-0) into my X21 a while ago. It's noticably faster than the
> Toshiba 20GB/4500 RPM drive I had originally. The disk is hardly audible
> at all when it's idle. The seeks are quite loud comparatively, but still
> far more quiet than before. I rarely run my laptop on battery, but it
> seems to use quite a bit more power - my battery life went down from
> about 3.5 to 2.75 hours.

"Power Booster is a utility and interface that allows direct control
over advanced power settings, including Advanced Battery Life
Extender, on an IBM ATA/ATAPI-4 (or above) mobile disk drive."
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/powerbooster

It's a windoz program; I don't know if you can set the values
in windoz and have them stay configured when you boot into
Linux.

Steve
--
http://www.stevebarr.com