[ltp] Switching Between Networks

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:13:43 -0600

> On Tuesday 25 November 2003 12:19 am, Rob Smith wrote:
> > I would like to be able to use my 600E both at home, on my DSL, and also
at
> > work, on a corporate LAN.
> >
>"Greg Meyer" <mdklists@gkmweb.com> replied:
> I had to write myself a little script to bring up the network to do this,
> because the ip addressing schemes are different at the two offices, which
> screwed up my hosts file and I also wanted my wireless adapter to be eth0
at
> home, but eth1 at work.
>
> The hosts file problem was really caused by the lack of a dns server
inside of
> our corporate firewall, so I had to do this hack to allow me to access the
> mail server from inside and outside the firewall.  I need a hosts file
entry
> at work, but the public dns can resolve it while at home.
> --
> /g

I have learned that SuSe 9.0 includes an applet in the YaST configuration
called System Configuration Profile Management.

http://www.suse.de/us/private/products/suse_linux/i386/packages_personal/scp
m.html
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/suse/8.2/i386/suse/i586/scpm-0.9.1-34.i586.html

It is supposed to be quite comprehensive. When I looked at it though, I had
more questions than answers. I am hoping to find a HOW-TO on setting this
up. Unfortunately, SuSe's site has not been too great a resource in this
regard.

I need to have DNS server entries at home, due to NAT through my DSL router
I believe, but I'm on the corporate LAN without having assigned DNS IPs and
I'm able to surf the Net and look at machines inside the network. The other
issues that I must deal with are a proxy server and printers. I need to use
a proxy server from work, but not at home. Also, in both locations, I am
mapping to IP printers. At home I print to an HP LaserJet 5Si, while at work
I go to a Xerox N32.

Anyway, if someone has experience with YaST's scpm, I would like to hear
form you.

Thanks,

Rob Smith