[ltp] Switching Between Networks

Greg Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 07:45:16 -0500

On Tuesday 25 November 2003 12:19 am, Rob Smith wrote:
> I would like to be able to use my 600E both at home, on my DSL, and also at
> work, on a corporate LAN. At home, I've got a static IP, using my DSL
> Router's IP as the default Gateway, and my ISP's DNS server's IP addresses.
> At work, I am running DHCP. I also require use of an internet proxy server.
>
> I've seen two different applications to help automate this process. One is
> called NetSwitch and the other being Quickswitch. I am wondering if anyone
> out there has experience with either or both of these apps, and could
> advise me of your impressions. Also, if anyone has other ideas for
> automating this process (I would imagine that I'll still have to reset the
> proxy in Mozilla either way) that would be appreciated.

I had to write myself a little script to bring up the network to do this,
because the ip addressing schemes are different at the two offices, which
screwed up my hosts file and I also wanted my wireless adapter to be eth0 at
home, but eth1 at work.

The hosts file problem was really caused by the lack of a dns server inside of
our corporate firewall, so I had to do this hack to allow me to access the
mail server from inside and outside the firewall.  I need a hosts file entry
at work, but the public dns can resolve it while at home.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx