[ltp] Switching Between Networks

Rob Smith linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 23:54:30 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hartmut Meyer" <hartmut.meyer@web.de>
To: <linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 27, 2003 1:23 AM
Subject: Re: [ltp] Switching Between Networks

> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, 27. November 2003 03:04 schrieb Rob Smith:
>
> [Questions regarding SUSEs scpm - System Confugration Profile Manager]
>
> > Yes, I have read both the pertinent information from the Administration
> > Guide, and also the documentation found under
"/usr/share/doc/package/scpm"
> > on the machine. As I said, I walked away with more questions than
answers.
> > Below, I've listed some questions.
> >
> > The Admin Guide refers to "pre-configured resource sets". Does this mean
> > like Home, Work, and Away sets,
>
> No.
>
> > or are they referring to sets as in
> > Network, Graphics, Keyboard/Mouse, etc?
>
> Yes.
>

> --
<SNIP>

Well, I enabled SCPM via command line interface. I had to remove a LOCK file
in order to do this. Then, through YaST, I added Work, Home, and Away
profiles. I am going to configure these but need to know a couple of things.
First, if I switch profiles, does that happen on the fly, or do I have to
reboot in order for it to take effect? I'm guessing on the fly, but want to
be sure. Also, I saw that the SCPM documentation addresses both resource
sets and resource groups. I think for now, with my limited knowledge of just
exactly how Linux ticks, I will go for the resource sets. Does this make
sense? Thank you so very much for all the help that you've given to me.

Rob Smith