[ltp] Switching Between Networks

Hartmut Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 08:10:43 +0100

Hi,

Am Freitag, 28. November 2003 06:54 schrieb Rob Smith:

> Well, I enabled SCPM via command line interface. I had to remove a LOCK
> file in order to do this.

That can happen (leftover from a previously running instance), but doesn't=
=20
ususally.

> Then, through YaST, I added Work, Home, and Away
> profiles. I am going to configure these but need to know a couple of
> things. First, if I switch profiles, does that happen on the fly, or do I
> have to reboot in order for it to take effect?

On the fly.

You didn't read the documentation ;-)

> I'm guessing on the fly, but
> want to be sure. Also, I saw that the SCPM documentation addresses both
> resource sets and resource groups. I think for now, with my limited
> knowledge of just exactly how Linux ticks, I will go for the resource set=
s.
> Does this make sense?

Yes.

=46rom "man scpm":

   new concept: Resoure Groups
       Resource Groups are the successors of Resource Sets. The inten=ADtion
       is to logically group resources together so the user  does not have =
       care about which services need which configuration files.
       See info documentation for details.

Don't worry too much. Just try it out. You won't break anything.

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut