[ltp] dhcp problem

Tony Sequeira linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:26:48 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 12:11:01 +0100, Andr=E9 Wyrwa wrote

>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> > Hi, I'm another LFSer, a long term TP600E (still installing)
somewhere
> > between 4.0 and 5.0 too!
>=20
> Only had one LFS system so far, which ever reached the state of not
> installing anymore. ;-)

True, it never ends, until it gets trashed. intentionally or otherwise.
:)

> > Have a look at your DHCP client settings, if you are requesting DNS
> > services from your DHCP server, this may well fit your symptoms.
>=20
> I removed the domain-name-servers and domain-name entries from
> /etc/dhclient.conf, made resolv.conf empty, changed all leases entries
> in /var/state/dhcp/dhclient.leases so that they reflected the new
> domain-names and dns-servers. Then restarted dhclient.
>=20
> But didn't help. Do you know if it has another file except
> /var/state/dhcp/dhclient.leases where it stores or caches some data?
>=20
> Andre.

No, AFAIR all you need to do is maintain /etc/dhclient.conf.  This is
probably a server issue then.  If you don't find a solution by this
evening, I'll check my configuration, and post the results.

Do you have a static DNS then?  The DHCP server will return relevant
DNS server info if requested (this may not be strictly correct, I'm no
expert).  So it looks to me like you are requesting the DNS server info
from your server, and this is what gets applied to your DHCP client
machine.  There is a setting to turn this off in the client machine.=20
The documentation will help for this.  I *think* that you need to turn
off the request and things will settle down.

Cheers
=0D
--=20
Tony