[ltp] X freezing and CAPS LED blinking pattern?

otisg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:47:57 -0400

Hello Richard,

Oh, this is good to know! :)
While I do not get _all_ LEDs blinking or being on, I do get
that 'A' (caps lock) blinking.  The power is green, of course,
as is the battery LED.  The 'moon' and the disk LEDs do not turn
on when things freeze.  The left-most LED with a '1' inside it,
I don't remember what it is for, is also not lit.

I also cannot do Ctrl-Backspace to force X to die - pressing
that has no effect whatsoever.

I am not familiar with Alt-Sysrq-{R,S,U,B} key combination.
What is Sysrq?  Oh, I see it under PrtSc on my keyboard.  I will
try that next time this happens (later today, probably :().
R,S,U,B are, I assume, just letters, so Alt-Sysrq-<R or S or U
or B> is what you recommend.

Also, if my kernel panics, shouldn't I see that in the syslog
(/var/spool/messages)?

Thank you,
Otis

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Thu, 09 Oct 2003, Richard Neill (rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk)
wrote:

> Actually, if you're getting all the Keyboard LEDs flashing,
it's a
> kernel panic. Not a good sign!
>
> If X freezes, you should normally get some response to
> Alt-Sysrq-{R,S,U,B}, whereas a kernel panic will not.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Richard
>
> otisg wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is anyone with T40 and Linux (RedHat 9.0, kernel 2.4.18-20,
> > believe) experiencing the freezing of X, where nothing but
> > cold reboot 'helps'?
> > I experience those regularly (like a Winblows user), about
2-3
> > times a day.  I have noticed an interesting thing, and that
is
> > that whenever X freezes like that (and I assume it is X
that
> > freezes, not the whole OS), the little 'CAPS' LED (the
little