[ltp] X freezing and CAPS LED blinking pattern?

Taavi Burns linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:36:19 -0600

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:47:57AM -0400, otisg wrote:
> I also cannot do Ctrl-Backspace to force X to die - pressing
> that has no effect whatsoever.

If the kernel has panicked, then hitting ctrl-alt-backspace won't
do anything; nobody's listening.  :)

> Also, if my kernel panics, shouldn't I see that in the syslog
> (/var/spool/messages)?

Nope.  If the kernel has panicked, it shuts itself down as
quickly as possible since it cannot predict the extent of
damage that's already been caused in kernel memory.  Writing
anything to disk in that situation is more than slightly
dangerous.

--
taa

   Understanding the roots of community and predatory
   violence is impossible unless the effects of intrafamilial
   violence, abuse and neglect on the development of the
   child are examined.
         --Bruce D. Perry
/*eof*/