[ltp] suspend/resume et al.

Carl Nygard linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
12 Oct 2003 17:16:15 -0400

Everyone,

After much trial and tribulation with suspend/resume, I moved on to
linux-2.6.0-test7, and I've found that it works quite nicely (so far).

I have a somewhat mixed setup, stock RH9 with updated rpms from the
fedora-severn release for XFree86, gdm, and kernel packages.  So I'm not
sure if this mix is really *required*, or if 2.6-test7 is the only thing
beyond stock RH9 necessary.

However, what I've seen is that Fn-F3 blanks properly, and Fn-F4
suspend/resume works flawlessly.  Previously, with the RH9/severn rpm
mix, I could get suspend to work, but only with a wierd combination of
screen hashing, return key and multiple Fn-F3/F4 presses. 2.6-test7
works quite nicely.

Additional updates required:
Rusty Russel's module_init_tools package
   http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/
fixes to rc.sysinit
   http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0304.2/0155.html

Things that don't quite work:
- cpudyn package seems to have stopped working.  It says it started, but
'ps' doesn't show cpudynd running.
- Peter Johanson's patch agains airo_mpi.c for 2.5.x doesn't seem to
work for the latest airo_mpi.c from fabrice bellet.

Other miscellaneous things may not work, I haven't gotten through
everything.  I was just startled that suspend/resume works seemingly
flawlessly, even closing the lid suspends, and opening resumes, no
problems.

--
Carl Nygard <cjnygard@fast.net>