[ltp] New 770 user

Ajai Khattri linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:47:17 -0400 (EDT)

Im new to this list.

Someone donated their old ThinkPad 770 to me so Im now running Linux on
it. I looked through the FAQ and the mailing-list didn't appear to have a
search function so maybe these questions are answered many times already
but maybe my setup needs more up-to-date info.

I have installed RedHat 9. The machine is a ThinkPad 770 9458-32U.

Questions:

1. How do I get the console framebuffer to fill the whole LCD? Im using
   grub as my bootloader. Do I need to build a new kernel? Is there a way
   to check if my kernel has support for this?

2. This seems like a bug to me: PCMCIA drivers startup *after* the network
   config and the firewall runs. This causes a problem because Im using
   a DHCP configured wireless PCMCIA card - the firewall opens holes for
   my NTP sync but since there's no network available at that point the
   NTP fails. I could renumber the links in /etc/rc3.d but I think this is
   a bug. Should I submit a bug report?

3. Does sound work? Best way to test?

4. Do I need any special APM setup?

5. Does the modem work? Best way to test?

--
Aj. (ajai@bitblit.net)