[ltp] T40, memtes86, blank blue screen, Bellet's memtest86 patch

otisg linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:15:31 -0400

Hello,

I'm trying to run memtest86 on my T40 to test its memory modules
(daily crashes story).

I applied Mr. Bellet's patch:
http://bellet.info/~bellet/laptop/t40.html#memory_problems
and added Memtest to Grub bootloader.

However, when I boot into Memtest86, I get only Memtest's blue
screen with the red rectangle in top left corner, saying
'Memtest-86 v3.0'.  The bottom of the blue screen has a blank,
gray strip (a la Windows/KDE/Gnome task bar).
I believe this screen should contain a menu with commands, but
it does not.  The computer does not react to anything, other
than the power-off button. :(  Hitting Esc or 'c' doesn't do
anything, and neither does ctrl-alt-del.

I then tried using the precompiled Memtest86 v 3.0 (precomp.bin)
and booting into that with Grub.

That worked a bit better.  Machine loads Memtest86's blue
screen, and I can see a mention of T40's total RAM, L1/L2
memory, and nothing for the 'CHIP' line.  That screen displays
for a few seconds and then the computer reboots automatically.
So this doesn't work properly either.

Are others having more luck with Memtest86 3.0 on T40 models?

Am I supposed to apply some trick not mentioned on
memtest86.com?

Thanks,
Otis

Get your own "800" number