[ltp] Total lockup on a T40

Brett Jones linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:22:08 -0700

--=======529F57A=======

I had a similar problem with a TP600 which I had purchased via
Ebay.  Whenever I ran the diagnostics everything appeared good.  The
machine stopped working totally after about 1 month.  When I opened it up
to replace the system board I found a screw (not thinkpad size) floating
around on the motherboard - probably made its way in via the pcmcia
bay.  I'm now over my fear of opening up a laptop and you can bet that the
next one I buy from Ebay will be opened and examined!

Your problem is most probably not the same ... I'd make sure I had the
latest drivers installed.  Then check to see if there's anything in common
with the lockups (card in the pcmcia slot, peripherals connected, etc,
programs running).  Try removing peripherals one at a time and see if the
problem stops.  Run the diagnostics repeatedly - overnight or for 24 hours
would be good.  Flakey memory can be a problem.  When all else fails, have
it serviced (T40 ... still under warranty?).

My original Ebay TP (600E) on the other hand has been working well since
the day I got it (knock on wood), with the exception of the mysteriously
draining battery problem (85% charge ... 80% charge ... 60% charge ... 5%
charge).

Brett

At 11:40 AM Monday 10/20/2003 you said:
|--------------------

>On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, pete hilton wrote:
>
> >         I have a T40 modul 58U ... 1.3GHz processor, 1440x1050 display
> > I have a 40G drive and 768M of memory.
> >
> > At random times the whole machine just locks up solid ... no response
> > from any key combination .. big red switch time.
>
>I've had a very similar problem with a 770Z that I bought used on eBay.
>
>It locks up about once a week. Sometimes it does this a second time within a
>few minutes of the first lockup.
>
>I had thought this was a hardware problem, maybe in the motherboard.
>
>If this happens on different TP models, then it is very strange.
>
>--

---