[ltp] Total lockup on a T40

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:55:27 -0700 (MST)

On 20 Oct 2003, Oopsy wrote:

> I saw some messages with this problem. I had an issue with my 560z. I
> ram a ram test and it tests good. My problem was over heating. It was
> when I was using it in my lap. Blocked the vent holes in the side.
> Oopsy. Also, was using it on a sofa arm. Bottom got hot and started
> getting unexected erroring.
>
> The 2 main thing to remember with almost all notebooks:
>
> A) Don't block the vent holes. Putting it on your lap is an easy way to
> block them. Try crossing your legs the other way.

Overheating is not the problem. The vents are are the back and side on the
770s.

What I'm trying is swapping out the RAM from another 770 I just happen to
have. I read somewhere that the 770 series *requires* 66 Mhz RAM and will not
work well with 100 Mhz. (Of course, this does not apply to the T-40, <grin>).

If this works, I'll report back.