[ltp] quieter harddrive for the thinkpad 240?

Kacper Wysocki linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 20:52:41 -0400

On 10/17/03 07:59:16, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 05:13:50 -0400
> Kacper Wysocki <kacperw@online.no> wrote:
> > Is it possible to get a quieter harddrive for the 240? Or are all
> > laptop harddrives that loud? Does a standard laptop harddrive fit?
> Any 9mm hard drive should fit.  I upgraded the drive in my 240 to a
> 40GB
> 5400 RPM Hitachi, and it's WONDERFUL.
>
> #hdparm -t -T /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  1.54 seconds = 83.12 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.70 seconds = 23.70 MB/sec
>
> This drive's currently in a 366 MHz 240.
>
> It's several times faster than the original hard drive (very
> noticable
> speed boost loading all applications) and almost completely silent.
> The
> drive cost a little over$100US. I bought the drive off Ebay.

Nice! I'll start looking for a 9mm laptop harddrive on ebay right away.
My 6GB drive, besides being super-loud, has these timings on a Celeron
333 tp240 with 192MB of RAM:

`hdparm -tT /dev/hda`

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   308 MB in  2.01 seconds = 153.23 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   30 MB in  3.16 seconds =   9.49 MB/sec

I'm guessing the higher value in the buffer-cache reads in my results
is due to more RAM on my tp..?

Cheers,
	Kacper