[ltp] Thinkpad 240 / 240X Brain Surgery and a 240X memory question

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:23:54 -0400

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:48:34 -0400
Charles E Taylor IV <tomalek@mindspring.com> wrote:

> My Thinkpad 240 (400 MHz) took an unfortunate fall the other day,

> So apparently I need to replace the system board.  Would swapping in the
> system board from a 240X work?

Following up on my old post here, I've managed to swap in a 240X's
(500 MHz P3) mainboard to my btoken 240.  All appears to work so far, and
it's more/less a drop-in replacement, once you take out about a bazillion
little screws.

The only real issue so far seems to be that my 256M SODIMM and the 240X
board's 64M RAM aren't both recognized (they were on the old board), so I
appear to be limited to about 256M RAM, while the original board
recognized all of the RAM for a total of 320M.  I haven't yet checked to
see if there's a BIOS update that might fix this.

While we're on the subject on memory, what's the maximum amount of RAM you
can shove in a Thinkpad 240X?

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/