[ltp] Thinkpad 240X memory and hard disk upgrade

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:21:39 -0500

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:23:54 -0400
Charles E Taylor IV <tomalek@mindspring.com> wrote:

> The only real issue so far seems to be that my 256M SODIMM and the 240X
> board's 64M RAM aren't both recognized (they were on the old board), so
> I appear to be limited to about 256M RAM, while the original board
> recognized all of the RAM for a total of 320M.  I haven't yet checked to
> see if there's a BIOS update that might fix this.

Another followup here.  The 256MB PC66/100 SODIMM from a Thinkpad 240 and
the new 240X motherboard don't get along well at all.  While the system
will boot with the 256MB in place, the PCMCIA slots will not work.  Why
that is, I have no idea.  Anyone know?  Anything I can do about it?

Since the computer's useless to me without the PCMCIA slot (no ethernet!),
I took out the offending SODIMM and put in a 128M PC100/133 SODIMM that
works fine - giving me 192M.

Anyone had any luck putting a 256MB SODIMM into their 240X?  Do I need a
PC100/133 SODIMM instead of the 66/100 one that was working fine in my
240?

On the hard disk, a good upgrade for a 240 or a 240X is a 5400RPM drive.
Hitachi's IC25N040ATCS05-0 (40GB, 5400RPM) drive works extremely well in
my 240X, as it did in my older 240.  It's quite fast and nearly inaudible
compared to the drives shipped originally in the 240s.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/