[ltp] System performance

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:50:06 +0000

I've seen this sort of slowness before. If KDE apps take ages to start,
(about 10 secs), it's quite often a symptom of a DNS error!! The laptop
will try to look up its own IP details and fail. After timing out after
10 sec, the application will start.

What do you have in /etc/hosts? (cat /etc/hosts and send us the output)

I have just this line (all one line, if the email line-wraps):

127.0.0.1       localhost toffee.XXX.org.uk toffee

Richard

P.S. Output from dmesg means run the dmesg command as root.

--
rn214@hermes.cam.ac.uk  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.