[ltp] Cisco Wireless and standby

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:47:57 +0100

Hi Joel,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 04:12:28PM -0500, Joel Ebel wrote:
> I've got the cisco mpi350 in my T40, and I'm using the cisco driver.
> I'm using firmware 5.00.03.  It works fairly well after a fresh boot.
> Sometimes it doesn't seem to find the signal just right, but for the
> most part, it's ok.  The problem I'm having is after a standby.  When I
> resume from standby, nothing about it works.  The proc driver interface
> displays garbage for all the fields.  I can't remove the module because
> it states it is in use, but I can't find what is using it.
>
> Has anyone experienced this or know what is causing this?  Would
> Fabrice/Ben's driver not have this problem?  Is it the firmware version?
>  Nobody happens to have found the 5b00.08 firmware as a file have they?

The driver must implement two callbacks, one for suspend that backups
the card config, and one for resume, that resets the card, and restores
the previous configuration. The cisco mpi350 doesn't implement them.
I added these callbacks in the latest version of the airo_mpi driver.

But, you also can safely remove the cisco mpi350 driver before suspend,
using the apm scripts. Don't forget that the interface must be down
(ifconfig eth1 down), before removing the module, else this operation will
return a busy error. The module must be removed before going into suspend
mode, and reloaded when waking up.

Best wishes,
--
fabrice