[ltp] Booting T40p from USB HD or USB CD/DVD

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 03 Sep 2003 21:58:57 -0400

Yes.  It is possible to boot off of a USB hard drive, or any other USB
storage device such as a memory key.  There is one problem, which I have
trie dot get IBM to fix though.  If you ever boot the computer without
the USB storage device plugged in, then it removes it from the boot
order, and the next time you want to boot from it, you have to go in the
BIOS, and change the boot order to boot from USB before the internal
HDD.  I was told by IBm that they would get that message to the
engineers that code the BIOS, but I'm guessing it never made it.  It's
really hard to communicate with the actual engineers.  oh well.  Another
option is to have a loader set up that knows what to do with the USB
drive.  You could boot off of a floppy (requiring of course that you
plug in a USB floppy drive), a cd-rom with a floppy image, or you could
set up lilo/grub on the primary HDD to boot off of USB as an option.
For some info on this, check out my distribution, RUNT Linux.
http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/runt.  It is Linux designed to run off of a
128 MB USB pen drive.  It has a floppy image that you can boot with to
boot USB if you can't do it directly.  Obviously you are interested in a
large distribution on a hard drive rather than just a pen drive, but you
may find some of the theory behind it useful.

Joel