[ltp] Booting T40p from USB HD or USB CD/DVD

Pio Bättig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 02:10:56 +0200 (MEST)

Dear Linux/t40p users

I would like to ask you whether it is possible to install and boot the t40p
under linux (RedHat 9) from an USB(2) attached Harddisk drive.

The other possibility would be to remove the internal CDRW/DVD drive,
install a second HD in the notebook and to attach a CDRW/DVD drive via
USB(2).

The first possibility would be the cheaper  one, I've seen some USB HD's on
sale, an external CD-drive plus a 2.5" HD would cost quite a lot of
money....

Unfortunately, I need the space I have on my my windows partition, so I
can't just divide it and install linux on a second partition on the first
hd.

I already googled, but by now I found nothing helpful.

Thank you very much in advance for your answers

Best Regards

Pio