[ltp] mpg, wav, wmv, mov, and avi formats

Wed, 10 Sep 2003 02:01:56 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Richard Neill wrote:

> Dear Dan,
>
> If you use mplayer (or gmplayer), you should be able to play practically
> everything. (Provided you have all the relevant plugins for mplayer).
>
> Personally, I save the files, and then play them with mplayer directly,
> rather than trying to get browser plugins - because it's easier. But I'm
> sure you can.
>
> You can try cross-over plugin if you still need it.
>
> Real Player is available for Linux (you have to hunt around their
> website for it).

If you install xine with all the correct plugins, it can play
realplayer, avis, mpgs, movs etc. similarly to mplayer.  Some gxine
RPMS also contain a mozilla plugin, which really does make it fairly
seamless, see for instance the gxine Red Hat 9 package from Freshrpms
at:

	http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=342

As long as it's installed ok and you have your plugin installed in
(for instance) ~/.mozilla/plugins/gxineplugin.so it should work.
I bet you can do similar with a plugin for mplayer (anyone?).

If you are using Red Hat, do yourself a favour and install apt from
there too, to deal with all the dependencies you'll get from such a
package.  I can't honestly remember all the sources I got my plugins
for xine and mplayer from, but it's entirely possible to play all
these formats if you work at it.  With the plugin I magically got as
seamless an integration as Windows with sites like the BBC: even for
those silly inline console video players etc. they insist on having.

Sorry this is sketchy on details but I hope it's enough to get you
started.