[ltp] WiFi 802.11 a/b/g on T40 anyone?

Kevin Horgan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:09:13 +0000

I'm trying to decide which miniPCI card I should have installed on my
incoming T40.  Obviously the Intel is out due to their non-support (I really
don't feel like waiting for vaporware due first half of 2004).

One option is to go with the Cisco Aironet card, which I've read is
supported.  However, when I read folks mini-howto's it seems keeping it
running is a pain in the ass, due to Windows drivers automatically updating
the firmware, causing problems in the Linux side, etc.  (This T40 will be a
dual-boot machine)

Another option is to use IBM's WiFi card which seems to be supported by the
madwifi project.  I checked sourceforge and it doesn't appear like a lot of
work is being done there though - last update was 8/2/03.  Maybe I'm wrong,
and maybe the driver works great.

A third option is to use IBM's 802.11 a/b/g WiFi card.  I've heard it also
uses the Atheros chipset and the formerly mentioned madwifi drivers should
support this card as well.

What have people had luck with?  What would people's recommendations be.
These all cost about the same amount of cash, and I'm looking for relative
ease of use.

Thanks,

Kevin

p.s. post private responses to kevinhorgan1 "at" yahoo.com

Help protect your PC.  Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee.