SOLVED: Re: [ltp] USB mouse problem

Matthias Posseldt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:25:00 +0200

On Monday 29 September 2003 17:15, Gonzalo Avaria wrote:
> Well, i solved by choosing on the ¨looking for new hardware¨ window that
> apeared on boot, the usb mouse. The problem now is that if i take out the
> mouse, i can´t get the track point to work again. So that should be the
> next problem that i will have to solve. So thanks for the time but don´t
> worry, it is solved.

You can run USB and trackpoint simultanously if you configure XFree86
correctly. I have an USB mouse that runs with the kernel HID driver (modprobe
mousedev) and can plug it in and out ... I don't use gpm. Here is what I've
done:

First, autoload the mousedev module so that there is always the device
/dev/input/mice.

Then, add the following lines to your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (there can be some
lines which are different in your file. The lines marked with + are
important):

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"XFree86 Configured"
	Screen		0 "LCD" 0 0
+	InputDevice	"USB Mouse" "CorePointer"
+	InputDevice	"Trackpoint" "AlwaysCore"
	InputDevice	"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection
+
+Section "InputDevice"
+	Identifier	"Trackpoint"
+	Driver		"mouse"
+	Option		"Protocol" "PS/2"
+	Option		"Device" "/dev/mouse"
+	Option		"ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
+EndSection
+
+Section "InputDevice"
+	Identifier	"USB Mouse"
+	Driver		"mouse"
+	Option		"Protocol" "ImPS/2"
+	Option		"Device" "/dev/input/mice"
+	Option		"ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
+EndSection

Note that I don't have any hardware assistant like kudzu or similar that
autodetects my mouse. If I now plug in my USB mouse, it is used as an input
device for X. I can still use the trackpoint.

Ciao, Matthias

--
Keine Software-Patente in der EU

http://swpat.ffii.org/patente/muster/index.de.html